Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing #15--The Library

The video on Library2Play for this Thing was very powerful. All through my elementary, middle and high school years, I did not like going to the Library. I enjoyed getting to go check out the books to read, but I was and still am not a big reader. I do think it is very important that our Libraries stay up to date with technology and that students are knowledgeable on how to use the technology and resources. I hope that libraries especially at the highschools have enough funding to stay current with the technology that is needed, but under no circumstance should it take away from having students read a good book.
Now that I am older, I have been reading more and do enjoy it. At the school where I have taught for 28 years, I have seen our library change. More technology has come in, but what I find so very exciting is the fact that when I walk by the library every morning heading to my classroom, there are several students waiting outside the library to go in. That to me is such an amazing thing to see. Instead of students being fearful or not interested in going to the libary, they are actually enjoying it. The libary should be an open, interesting and exciting place to go. It should be current and up to date so students want to use it. Get off the cell phones, face book, etc. and do research on the computer or dive into a good book. I have seen first hand how if you make it available, they will come!

1 comment:

weirgeld said...

I agree with your feelings about libraries of the past. I remember the first time that I walked into the library at the University of Houston. I was so intimidated. I didn't know how to access what I needed. Soon, I learned how to get what I needed, and it became pretty close to my second home. I hope libraries continue to change and grow, I wouldn't want any of my students to feel like I did.